Chapter-6


Chapter 6:
And now I was burning up. We were outside the jail, it was night and I had high fever. My eyes burned, my body shook and I wanted to throw up, even though I haven’t eaten anything much. I could notice Dryden’s worried glance at me minute after minute and it was kind of annoying.
“What? Don’t look like I am going to fall any minute”, because I really felt that way.
“No, I am not looking at that. I am just amused to see your fair face so beautifully colored when your temperature is high.” He said clearly meaning this and even in this deathly condition I blushed, if it was possible to go any redder!
“I am dying here, do you get that? Maybe in few minutes or hours , I’ll burn up in flames. And you are making jokes about it, mature!” I said , anger still persistent in me.
“Nah! You will not die. It’s just Iraftar’s gem that affecting, your body and your nature. It causes anger at its higher rate. I am surprised you are not hitting me right now.” Dryden said his eyes vigilant on dark street.
It was around two a.m. and no one was on streets. It was a small town and people had some beliefs so they usually ignored moving out at night, even rash teens. With every moment my vision was getting blurry, and my eyes like in flames. I blinked hard to do something about it, but it got worse. Dryden murmured something.
“What was that about?” I almost whispered my energy draining away.
“Why? Why did he gave you his ring. He never departs with it.” Dryden said , more to himself than me.
I coughed and tasted blood. Was I dying? I tried to let it pass, maybe I was too weak, like Dryden said.
“Maybe he loves me and wanted to propose me right then if you haven’t gotten in between!” I tried to joke and realised it wasn’t a smart one.
Dryden glared at me and took my wrist by force that shook me.
“I will never let that happen. Do you get that?” Amusement gone, anger and protectiveness crossed his face.
My eyes were closing now, but I smiled, “I was kidding!”
And then I coughed up blood and fell into his arms. It had been a romantic moment had it not been me coughing blood on street, we running away from police before morning and Dryden looking at me with concerned eyes.
He caught me and straightened me up. It was impossible to stand now, so I didn’t even try. I was feeling great in his arms, like nothing could hurt me.
“You were wrong after all, I am dying!” I said, now my eyes closed and flames catching up with my body and I noticed that he had dragged me to graveyard for some reason.
He lifted me up and whispered in my ear, “Oh! You will survive. I will not let you die right after you are engaged to Prince of Wrath!”
There was worry in his voice but it sounded sure, so I just smiled into nothingness and curled my arms around his neck for support and blackness took over.

2 Hours ago:
Kiara looked at the Sheriff going through files and the crowd outside the office , probably media people. She clutched her head in desperation, trying to hold back tears. She will not give them this satisfaction.
“Just so you know about our world rules, they will put us in different cells tomorrow, when they get rid of questions!” Kiara was sure about something, he was not from here.
“Our world? Excuse me? I  live in same world. Just our kingdom and everything is well hidden and we have our own training centres.And shopping markets and eating places.” Dryden said, pretending to be hurt by her remark.
Kiara had been held before, when her parents were killed. She saw the cells for first time. The place spoke of depression and loneliness. She knew people inside were criminals, maybe somewhere just victim of circumstance or some framed by someone. They all had a hollow look in their eyes. The walls were colourless and all the prisoners could do was stare into nothingness.
“What? You don’t have any rude comment to shot back at me ?” Dryden asked slightly uncomfortable at Kiara’s silence.
“I hate this place. I hate everything about it. I was here when my parents were killed and they held me even when they were buried and my sister was mourning them all alone.” Kiara said, her voice trembling.
After a moments silence , Dryden said, “ I can help you sleep?”
It was more of a question and Kiara looked at him with a grateful expression.
“No! I want to go through this. You put me to sleep last time and we ended up here. Alec wouldn’t have rushed to his father if I wasn’t in your arms.” Kiara tried to lighten up  the mood.
Dryden laughed lightly.
“He still likes you. I could see it in his eyes. And I have no trouble believing that.” Dryden said thoughtfully.
“Maybe! But I don’t like him now. In fact I hate him. He left me stranded, when no one was there to support me and his father interrogated me. I hate everyone in this town.” Kiara said all this in one go and sighed after speaking out her anger.
Dryden understood. “You hate everything and everyone right now. Give me the ring, Kiara.”
For a minute she seemed surprised, but then she pulled out the ring from the hoodie pocket(her bag was taken away by police for searching) and gave it to Dryden. It was glowing red, like ruby sparkling. As soon as Dryden touched it the glow faded. They both looked at each other, surprised.
“Now do you hate this town?” Dryden asked.
“Yes! I do. It took everything away from me. My family, my home. I do hate it even without the ring” Kiara said twice to emphasize the feeling.
“Then lets run away. I will take you to a far better place this.” Dryden said with a hope in his eyes, no mockery or amusement. He really meant it.
“No, I can’t go. I have to find out about my parents killers, my sister’s killer. And I am sure there must be some clue in my house. And I will not leave till I do that. And I haven’t even visited my family’s grave yet!” Kiara said sounding quite stubborn.
“You know that’s incredibly dangerous and stupid?” Dryden asked lightly.
She just glared in answer.
Dryden closed his eyes and started humming a unfamiliar tune. It was beautiful and calming. Kiara stiff body relaxed and she looked at Dryden while he sat there with closed eyes. After all this, he looked as perfect as she has seen him first time. This morning in the forest. His hair still looked clean and soft, jet black. Consciously her hand went up to her hair which were rough and dirty right now. She looked down at herself and made a disgusted face. Her jeans was stained with dirt and what not. Her black hoodie smelled of sweat and her hands were slightly scratched and filthy looking. Kiara smiled, it could be only her stupid luck to be in such a revolting condition with a gorgeous guy around.
Dryden was a contrast sitting right there with his blue T-Shirt and jeans combo and a leather jacket. He looked normal, but who knew what else he could do. She had seen him perform some magic ritual, showing immense courage in front of Prince of Wrath, heard Iraftar praising him and then putting her to sleep.
“How did you put me to sleep? What else you can do?” She asked suddenly very curious.
His eyes opened and they were literally glowing, the silver in his eyes were like stars right now. For a moment Kiara looked in his eyes, dazed. But she came to her senses, when Dryden stood up and came to sit beside her. She became uncomfortable and cringed from the intimancy. Dryden seemed unaffected.
“I can do lot of things, now you ask. Firstly I am Head Soldier of Kingdom’s army. I am the Warrior Prince. So naturally I am good with weapons. My family comes from the warrior lineage. Though some were good with bow and arrow, some with sword, some with axe and mace and what not I am the only one after our first Prince who could yield any weapon made.” He said in a serious tone.
Kiara’s eyebrow shot up.
“I am not bragging! You have not seen how good I am with weapons.” He said.
“Why bow and arrow and not sword?” Kiara asked, having a certain fascination to that particular weapon no reason.
“I told you , I am good at all of them. So I have this power of having any weapon at anytime.”
As if to prove his point, he made a dagger appear in his hand. It was beautiful, silver with bronze hilt and green gems in it. And then within a moment it disappeared.
“Wow! That is really amazing!” Kiara exclaimed impressed and surprised.
A brilliant smile appeared on his face.
“What else?” Kiara asked, all hesitation gone and she inched closer to him.
Dryden , as calm as he might seem was immensely aware of girl’s closeness.
“Umm…I can heal. That’s because of my mother. She and her family have healing powers. So my some miracle I have my father’s and mother’s gift. I am a killer and healer, rather weird combination.” And again to prove his point, he gripped Kiara’s hand and her heart stopped.
He looked into her eyes so see her reaction and as much she was trying to avoid looking at Dryden, she looked in his bluish-grey eyes. She was surprised to see the look in his eyes, desire and hopelessness. Two things she least expected. Kiara was beautiful, sort of. But right now, she was anything but. A certain fear crept in her mind, after all she hasn’t known Dryden for long. Just few hours? And he could do all weird things and just came around when she was attacked.
“There, healed!” He said and immediately let her wrist go and looked away.
She looked at her palm which was injured due to her digging nails into it and falling down various times, it looked perfectly healed now. Kiara looked completely stunned, open-mouthed at him. But he didn’t smile this time.
“And I can do other minor stuff, like put people to sleep, magnify power of weapons and kind of persuade people. The last power comes with being a warrior prince, we need some persuasion to make other soldiers follow and listen to us.” Dryden finished explaining, his eyes still looking away from Kiara.
“You are amazing! You really are!” Kiara said, all hatred and anger gone.
“I have heard that!” He said, amused smile returning to his face.
Kiara was so confused right now, this time she felt she could trust him with her life, but sometimes she just felt he was total stranger from a secret land. But hasn’t she always dreamed of that? She read fantasy novels and wanted to be the girl of multi-talented hero. But the way he looked away whenever they came close wasn’t a good sign or whether how she flinches away when he came close wasn’t a friendlier sign from her.
She could not trust anyone right now, not with magical stuff involved. Not with wrath involved who could turn on anyone anger except Dryden’s. And not with herself in jail, with the most handsome boy possible and having power of persuasion.
“I hope you have not persuaded me into something?” Kiara asked slightly wary now.
“Do you think I have?” he asked clearly looking hurt,
“I don’t know, I mean I can’t know, can I?” Kiara said , immediately regretting for being so rude.
Dryden didn’t answer. But after a while he said, “ I never persuade people until it’s a deathly condition. It’s not a power I am proud of.”
Kiara tried to make amends, “But you can do other great things. Show me how you put people to sleep!”
He looked up, and smiled, “I thought you were not OK with that, you sleeping in my arms.”
Kiara rolled her eyes, relieved to see his humor back.
“Just the light thing!”  She said.
He pulled out his hand and looking outside to check if someone was watching, he concentrated for a moment and then a white light formed in his hand like a ball. Without thinking Kiara touched it and heaviness attacked her eyes, her body felt tired. She immediately pulled away her hand, which felt iron heavy.
She was about to fall backwards and hit the cell’s cold grey wall when Dryden hand went around her neck and he held her steady. Their faces were inches apart now. And with dizziness surging through her body, she felt like she could pull down Dryden, however a stranger he was and kiss him.
But her eyes jerked open and Dryden let her go immediately when they saw Alec staring at them from outside the cell.
“Ahem! It’s time to go. My father is answering questions right now. I have the keys. I can help you escape!” he said, slightly guilty and slightly excited.
“Alec! Are you sure?” Kiara said, her head still heavy. Dryden’s sleep thing really worked.
“I am really sure this time. I was a coward before and I have always loved you Kiara, even after everything that happened. I knew better than anyone that you could never kill your parents, especially not Lila. Now you two better hurry. If he is with you I’ll help him too.”
Kiara looked at him, pleasantly surprised that she was never wrong about Alec.
“Yes-yes, I trust him. He is here to h-help me.” Was all Kiara could gather about Dryden to say.
Alec opened the lock, shaking a bit and looking right and left like thousand times in a single minute.
“Go on! Run and please for your own safety don’t come back to the town. You have no idea what plans they have for you two. They think he was your accomplice/boyfriend who helped you in murder. And as for your house, I am sure Greta can keep it safe.” Alec hurriedly said.
“B-But…” Kiara tried but Alec cut her off.
He grasped her hand and said, “I know you want to look for clues and find about everything. But trust me when I say they have no answer or clue to your parent’s or sister’s murder. Since they had to give some answers to public you are the prime suspect. Just leave for now Kiara!”
With this he bent down and kissed her, a passionate kiss that could have melted a girl’s bones. But Kiara just kissed her back, out gratefulness and not desire.
As soon as he let her go, she immediately turned to look at Dryden probably blushing furiously and her damned skin showing it. Dryden was grinning, a I-told-you-so look in his eyes.
“Go now!”Alec said.
And they two rushed past the crowd and media and they wildly questioned the Sheriff and other soccer players who were with Alec when Dryden and Kiara were seen. They didn’t even notice two dark figures running among the bushes.
“Take the ring!” Dryden whispered.
“Why?”
“It glows when you have it, not me!” he said, sounding irritated for some reason.
“Fine! What if it’s a track device?” Kiara said putting in on and it glowed brilliantly.
“Good, But right now I am getting really angry, it’s better with you.” He said sounding really angry.
“But Iraftar said you never get angry!”Kiara said running with him.
And he mumbled something like, “Trust a girl to destroy everything!”

Present:
I blinked open my eyes. Everything seems clear and after a long time I felt fine, really fine and energetic. The ground underneath was muddy or soil or something like that. And there were trees around. I sat up and realised I was wearing a leather jacket over my hoodie, Dryden’s jacket. I can’t believe the number of times I have passed out since the deaths. And I have never fainted before, even when we were dissecting animals in class.
“Where am I?” I asked getting out of his warm somehow nice smelling jacket.
“Cemetery! You said you haven’t seen your family’s grave, so before leaving town here we are.” Dryden said looking extremely handsome in just T-shirt and jeans.
I saw wanted to compliment or tell him not to wear the damned jacket but I forced myself to keep quite.
“How come I am alive? I was spitting blood not an hour ago. And did you put the sleeping light into me?” I asked trying to sound annoyed, I was anything but.
I mean the guy was looking gorgeous and he brought me here in his arms so I could see my family before leaving town. What more a girl can ask for?
“I told you I can heal. I am a good healer, second best after my mother.”
“What happened to me?” Kiara asked looking at him with grateful eyes.
She was losing count how many times he had saved her now.
“The ring. It affects you very much and somehow as we got closer to cemetery you started heating up. And then when you were unconscious , I had no option but to use my healing powers.”
“Thank you! Thank you! for everything. You have done so much for me, saved my lives so many times in single day. I could kiss you right now.” And I realised my mistake I made in emotional fit.
“Really? You can?” he said his eyes lit up with mischief.
“It’s just a phrase”, I shook my hand, still smiling.
“Then why didn’t you heal me before, when Iraftar burned me?” I asked remembering my bandaged leg.
He grinned. “Oh! Can you feel pain then?”
I moved my leg, no pain.
“You have been running and walking after that, was there any pain? No! Because I healed it  , but bandaged it so that you don’t feel weird about it. But now you know about my powers, so I don’t need any cover!” He shrugged casually at my surprised and annoyed expression.
I left it at that. No use arguing him, and that too at 3 at night.
I can’t believe I was in a graveyard at this time. I was the nice and delicate one from our family, what happened to me?
In only moon’s light we searched for graves of my family, tears forming in my throat. I wanted to bury myself with Lila right now, but revenge was all that stopped me. And then after knowing about all this magic a hope was forming in my heart which I was not ready to share with anyone.
I tripped in darkness multiple times and Dryden was there every time to catch me in his arms. I was cursing myself and he was laughing a silent laugh.
“I could lift you in my arms if that’s what you want?” he said, mockery in his voice.
“No thank you! I can walk.” I retorted and like on cue fell on another thick branch.
I waited for Dryden to make another smart comment or lift me up instead.
Instead he said , “ Don’t move!”
I immediately became still and tried to look around.
“What?” I asked
“The trees, they are not normal trees. Iraftar knew you would come to graveyard to visit the graves. They are fire-roots. Trees of fire. Indestructible, except by water fairies.” Dryden said, slowly gripping my elbow and lifting me up.
As soon as I got up and brushed myself, the trees came alive.
And by alive I really mean alive, the leaves turned red and braches inflamed. The branches formed hands and threw a fire ball at me and Dryden. We ducked.
“Now what? You said they are indestructible? “ I asked my eyes still searching for graves but heart beating painfully.
“Now, we run. Can you do that?” Dryden said looking for a way outside.
“Run! This is something I can really do well.” I said grinning at him and he thankfully grinned back.
“Now we know why your engagement ring was being to reactive, we have Iraftar’s minions around.”Dryden said excited now, he seems to like action.
“Mom , Dad, Lila I will see you later! Your son-in-law is giving us trouble” I said, somehow not scared but excited myself.
And we struggled to duck and run from the flaming balls thrown around, Dryden laughing at my lame joke.
I imagined the reaction of towns people when they will see the graveyard burned to ground!!




Comments

Popular Posts