Wings of Desire Ch-6



Breaking the shackles,
Soaring to freedom,
Breathe in the life,
Quick, then begins despair.

XANDER
I waited for her to arrive at school. I followed her from her house to the school. She was breathtakingly beautiful today. Purple was her colour. Her hair was open and because of wind it kept touching her face. My fingers twitched to touch them.
She wore no jewellery except a silver chain underneath. I didn’t know if it was plain or something was attached to it. She looked pale and I knew that nightmares were the cause, though I didn’t know what was in them.
And today I was nervous, I have never felt nervous before. I had no idea what will I say to her, how will I talk. For a moment I thought of giving up the idea of being visible to her but one look at her and my resolve was turned to ashes.
And then my nervousness vanished when I saw her reaction. Her reaction when she first saw me in school corridor. Girls giggled around me and batted eyes lashes. I was accustomed to this even among Angels, I was good-looking. So this behaviour was natural. Unless she saw me.
Her eyes were filled with shock and also minor terror. Why was she afraid of me? She gasped out loud on seeing me and I was worried, did she know my identity? She couldn’t, how could she?
She blinked twice and thrice, like making sure I was real and not her illusion.
I was curious and walked towards her. She was even more beautiful up close. I had to resist the urge to hold her in my arms and trace her cheeks with my fingers. I had to behave myself; I am after all an Angel.
“Have we met before?” I asked carefully.
She realised that she was staring with her distracting brown eyes and she looked away.
“I am not sure.” She mumbled.
“But I don’t think so. I should have remembered someone like you.” I said with partial truthfulness, I could not forget someone like her.
“I am sorry. I just thought I have seen you before.” She muttered the words still not making eye contact and then hurried away.
I sighed and smiled. She was shy yet so determined. She was mine and I have to make it possible before they start drowning me with punishments and consequences of what I have done and what I was about to do.
Angels are not allowed to use their power in human view but a Guardian Angel can do so in desperate need to protect their allotted humans.
So I did what a guardian angel should do in line of duty. I manipulated the Chemistry teacher in making me sit next to her and get that nasty boy out of image. She was in desperate need of protection from him.
“Class, this is Alexander. Help him feel welcome at school. Alexander please take your seat next to Freya.” She said that and the girls around showed disapproval.
I had to smile; they wanted me to sit next to them. I guess modesty was not my trait.
Evan rushed ahead and reasoned with the teacher but there is nothing breaking Angel power.
She looked surprised yet again, her eyes staring through mine. It was looking at your favourite flower and not being able to pluck it as the thorn might prick you.
If angels were made on basis of purity, innocence and beauty, she would be our queen.
I sat next to her and she edged away. I had to make her believe first that I was her guardian, her protector and not otherwise. But first I needed to know why she was afraid of me.
“You don’t like me?” I said it as a statement and also as a question.
“No, it’s nothing like that. I am not just the type to open up easily.” She gave me a wearied smile.
Chemistry teacher didn’t allow us to talk since she was asking questions about what was taught yesterday. I couldn’t divert my attention from her; she was nervously fidgeting with her pen as soon as the test was mentioned.
She hated this subject, I knew. And I had my first job as visible guardian angel.
After questioning almost half the class it was our table’s turn now.
“Since you are new Alexander, I will let it slide. But you will be questioned next time.” Ms. Tanya smiled at me.
“No go ahead, I am sure I can answer anything you ask.” I said with utter confidence.
Everyone looked surprised and awed.
She asked me about Aldehydes and I answered it with precision. Awesomeness was one of my habits I couldn’t quit.
“Looks and brains.” A girl cooed behind me and the one with her giggled.
I had better hearing than humans, not all angels do only the protectors were given this power.
It would have been easy to talk to any of those girls but not her. She was not even looking at me.
“Ok, next Freya.” Ms. Tanya moved to my partner.
She sighed and got ready to answer. Naturally I interrupted.
“Ms. Tanya I wanted to know the reason behind your seating arrangement? Why in alphabetical order?” I asked something completely genuine.
She was surprised at my question but smiled and obliged me with an answer.
“Oh, it just a method to make students more attentive in class rather than talk. It happens mostly if you sit with friends. Shuffling the seating arrangements prevents that. Why do you ask?” She said completely mesmerised by me.
These people will make me even more arrogant than I already was.
“I ask because I was given a seat out of order. I would like to know the reason.” I continued the distraction with a smile that was keeping her busy.
But she had no answer to it. How could she, only I knew the answer. But being a teacher she made up an actual answer.
“Because according to grades Freya needs a tutor and your transcripts say you are amazing in chemistry. I need you to help her with the subject.” She said a thinking hard look persistent on her face.
She was still thinking about the actual reason she made exception for me.
“I would love that.” I had to say I liked Ms. Tanya, she made my job easy.
Before she could make her mind to ask the next question the bell rang and everyone hurried out.
I winked at her and her eyes widened at the realisation.
“I saved you, again!” I said to let her know my intentions were noble.
Well not as noble as an angel, but as noble as it gets with your muse next to you.
Finally she smiled a slight smile and said, “Thanks. But I have to face her someday. I am not getting any better at chemistry anytime soon.”
Now, I was the worst kind of angel, rebellious and arrogant. I was the power and the troublemaker. I was the angel with a dangerous side.
But I saw her smile, a smile meant for me I forgot for a moment of the consequences I will face for the rule breaking or that I was too high for being among humans. At that moment of her smile, I drowned in my own level of happiness. It was good being not a stranger to her.
I gathered myself and replied, “I could teach you if you want.”
But for some reason she was staring at my eyes again and not with fascinated by me look. Like she couldn’t believe I was here or like she couldn’t decide whether I was good or bad.
Instead of answering my question she tilted her head slightly and gave me questioning look.
“Something about you is not right.” She muttered it like I was not hearing.
I arched my eyebrow in question and surprise.
“Are you sure we haven’t met? Please tell me the truth for sake of my insanity, because I swear I have seen those eyes.” She pleaded sounding desperate and hopeful at same time.
And I realised, she had seen me. She saw me the night I rescued her from those contemptible human beings not even deserved to be called humans.

Comments

Popular Posts