Wings of Desire Ch-8



Close to the sun,
It’s warm and radiance.
Closer you get,
You scorch and burn.
XANDER
Being around her was bliss. Visible or invisible. I decided to hide for few days to see her reaction.  But mostly because I was troubled that she saw me that night. Will that scare her; will she not accept me even as her friend? So I decided to leave Alicia in charge and see if I can live a week without her. Did she miss me? Though I still didn’t knew what she thought about me. She dodged her friend when she asked about me. But I saw the look of relief when I showed up for maths class to defend her from Evan. She actually handled him quiet well but boy was not the one to take no for an answer.
And she refused to change seats at chem; she wanted me as her partner. It was like a dream where I had all that I desired, freedom and her. But a dream usually shatters and so did mine.
Adonael, an archangel was sent to reprimand me for my selfish actions. No, he was not someone above me but he had been my teacher and mentor. But most importantly he treated me like a friend, unlike others who either looked at me with contempt or with fear.
“Alexander, it seems like you are having too much fun.”Adonael commented not sounded offended or anything.
“Not yet Nael, I am still trying to be a gentleman.” I answered with apt amount of cockiness.
“Oh that must be painful.” He teased me back.
I grinned at him but he just shook his head like I was hopeless. Maybe from his perspective I was.
“Why are you here Adonael?” I asked knowing the answer too well.
“Elites sent me to warn you. They won’t come directly so they wanted me to tell you that you should stop with all this rule breaking. What you are doing is against the tradition and on some level, blasphemous.” He said it like a speech.
“They won’t or they can’t?” I asked about the part that mattered most.
Adonael was silent and I took his silence as a yes to my question, they can’t. They have a minor idea of how disastrous it will get for them and humans if I lose of temper.
“Please, Alexander. I know you like her but don’t this or you will lose her even as your human. They will assign some other angel to her. If you keep up they might even not assign her one.” He said obviously knowing that she was my weakness.
“Like? Are we still stuck on that? I love the girl. If you summarise my instinct to protect her even from too harsh sun or my fathomless desire for her or my habit of watching her every move or breathing with relief listening to her heartbeat, as love then I love her.
   You do understand that she is the only reason I am as calm and friendly as possible. She is my home and tell the Elites, if they take away my home or even try to lay a finger on her, I will not be as ignorant as I pretend to be.”  I ended with my speech.
Adonael looked troubled.
He sighed and said, “You are doing wrong Alexander, to her and yourself. You are bound to take responsibility someday. And at that time you will have to leave her and then she will be pursued by the enemies you make now.”
Adonael had a point, I cannot avoid Heaven forever. I was supposed to return before the patience of angels above snapped.
“I will handle the future when it comes. For now, let me live.” I replied as calmly as possible.
“Do not mess with the patience of Angels Alexander. They know they can’t touch you but you have your liabilities. And truth might hurt you but you have no future with the girl.”
Yes, Adonael was right, truth does hurt. And well, in my defense it was Adonael fault that I was slightly agitated and few of tress around me uprooted and fell with a banging thud. School can’t punish me for property destruction.
Adonael vanished knowing quiet well that making me angry was a bad idea.
To calm down I immediately looked for her.
It was lunch and she looked happy talking to her friends. In her mind she was the least beautiful among the three. I couldn’t see how she came up with that conclusion. For me it was agonizing to remove my eyes from her.
She had a calming smile on her face not quiet reaching her eyes but she meant it.
“I would take part in the play if they make some hot guy a prince and I could remember the lines.” Hazel, her other friend said.
But she just smiled not commenting on her friend’s weird statement. I wanted to grab her and take her away from them so that we could be alone together and all her smiles just meant for me. I wanted her to talk to me. But my behaviour will be really obsessive from human’s point of view so I restrained myself.
From a distance I noticed her finger flicking back a loose strand at back of her ear, her desire to be a part of some play but she wasn’t prepared for the audition, her playing with her silver chain when she suddenly lost interest in what her friends were talking about.
I was really curious to know what that necklace was, she never took it off and yet she always kept it underneath her clothing. I heard she was planning to go the library, alone and my interest piqued.
I had to get to know. I was slow in getting her to like me and here I was almost addicted to her. I could do anything she will ask of me. She didn’t even notice me besides the sudden eye contact and her looking away with discomfort. Was this my punishment for breaking rules, that the girl I love will not notice me? This was actually cruel.
“Alexander there is a bonfire this weekend. Would you like to join us?” Cara, a girl with a devious mind for a human interrupted my thoughts,
I was about to say a rude no but I had an idea, “Is everybody going?”
“Yeah, almost everyone worth inviting is coming” She said with a seductive smile not having any effect on me.
It was because of her I am like this now.
I hoped that she considered my human as worth inviting and avoided manipulating her mind.
“Fine, I would love to be there.” I said with a sly smile that as expected left her breathless.
Why was I not having same affect on her?
I decided to ask her myself if she was coming or not.
Lunch time was over and she walked towards her locker to get her books for next class. I walked up to her and gratefully she didn’t flinch.
“Are you going to bonfire this weekend?” I asked directly.
She turned to look at me and what I saw confused me. She was angry.
Why? What have I done wrong?
“Why, did Cara lure you to come?” She asked with a level of bitterness.
And I had to purse my lips from laughing out loud, in joy, relief and amusement.
She was jealous.
My hands clutched into a tight fist restraining myself yet again from holding her and kiss her to show her that she was jealous for nothing.
“Are you going to the bonfire?” I repeated my question, determined to know the answer.
“Yes, she is, we all are.” Her friend, Brenna answered the question and in return she glared at her.
“Then I will join you there, it was no use going otherwise.” I said the truth and she looked at me surprised.
I couldn’t keep myself from smiling. I turned to go before I did something stupid.
Suddenly, without any warning she held my wrist and in first time in my angel life span my heart stopped.
“Yes?” I asked putting up my cool composure, my insides being just opposite.
“Thank you for helping me with Evan. It was quiet embarrassing in front of my classmates.” She said with genuine gratefulness but not making eye contact.
Her cheeks were colored pink and she felt warm. She let my hand go as soon as she was done with thanking me and left before I could muster a reply.
I was left speechless, my heart drumming rapidly and loudly. I sighed, if her one touch could make me this weak I was curious to know what this girl could do to an Archangel like me. She will make me a permanent guardian angel if I decided to break my resolve to be an Archangel again...King for that matter of fact after my father’s demise.

Comments

Popular Posts