CH-2 (cont)


Ch-2
“And then we will go to Vegas!”, I told my sister.
For some absurd reason, she was charmed by Vegas and wanted to visit it. So I always told her a false plan which ended with “And then we will go to Vegas! She has started smiling at my lame attempt to lie to her. She knew I hated myself and everything around me, except her. And she knew that I was too broken now to live a normal life.
“No! I don’t want Vegas now! I want you back. My laughing, teasing sister back.”she said one day, leaving me stunned.
And all I could muster was, “She is dead now!”
I know that was harsh to say, but I can’t keep lying to her. I had to tell her I am no more Princess Kiara Wright! She cried for some time alone, in her room. But later she came back and hugged me. I knew she and I will really be together, forever! Not like Alec’s forever…
One day earlier:
Kiara Wright and her sister Lila were sitting in a restaurant.
“What will you have?” Kiara asked gently.
“A blackberry smoothie!”, came Lila’s instant reply.
Kiara smiled. Yes, her mother always made this one for them at home while they sang in a horrible voice around her.
“Remembering Mom?” She asked and Kiara nodded.
“I got a call from uncle when you were at practice this afternoon for track team!”, Lila told Kiara.
“It was from Uncle David. He is coming to meet us!”.
Kiara chuckled darkly, “Why now? Its 3 months since Mom and Dad were murdered. Why does he care now?”
Uncle David was their only relative and their mother’s brother whom they haven’t seen for 10 years! Last time he was there, it ended up an argument between Mrs Wright and him.
“I don’t know. But he is coming tomorrow!”, Lila said, sounding nervous.
“Don’t worry sister! Let him be. I’ll always be there for you. He might be rude with our mother but now he dares and mistreats you or anyone in house, I’ll kick his butt!”, Kiara meant every word she said.
But Lila burst out laughing joyfully. Among all the turbulence in her life, her sister’s laughter gave her peace, peace that right now Mom and Dad would be proud of her!
She sipped the delicious smoothie as she looked lovingly at her pretty sister, Lila. And promised herself, that no matter what, she will let no harm come to her!
“Don’t look at him, he is an ass-hole!” Lila told Kiara, following her gaze that was on Alec.
He was passing by with rest of the soccer team. Among them was Liam, Lila’s boyfriend who happened to love her after all the drama. Lila was lucky that way.
“Hey Kiara, Lila!”, Liam said separating from the team to catch up with Lila. He planted a kiss on Lila’s cheek lovingly and a smile came over Kiara’s face. Surprisingly he was the only one who didn’t hated Kiara and was not afraid of her.
“I’ll leave you guys here!”, Kiara said, feeling uncomfortable.
“No! No! I have to leave for soccer practice so I don’t have time now. But I might drop by tomorrow to pick your sister for date”, he winked and waved a good-bye.
“He loves you!”, Kiara said observing the look in Liam’s eyes.
Lila blushed pleasantly. And Kiara remembered how she had last blushed when she and Alec kissed on day of dance.
“Don’t give up on life, like I did Lila. You are pretty and you have things to live for”, I said that aloud, not intending on something like that.
“We have each other!”, Lila said, surprising Kiara with such a deep answer.
Kiara looked at the setting sun and thought how right Lila was. She had to live for her sister. And pondered on the visit of their not so friendly uncle David. His visit was never Christmas!
Present-
I waited in apprehension for the arrival of David Wright, psychotic brother of my mother. He was around 35 or 36, with brown hair and good physic. By looks he was very handsome, and no one can imagine that he can be such a pain. But I and Lila knew that he was more than pain. He was threat to me and my sister. Since as long as we have known him he loved money and was greedy, I guess that says it all.
“Ah! My precious nieces”, he said as he entered our beautiful living room.
We both looked at each other. Precious was such an over-statement.
“Uncle David, I wish I could say it was a pleasure to meet you!”, I said, in no mood for pleasantries.
Lila, being Lila stayed quiet.
“So, you both still hate me? I am your only relative left now.” He said, looking kind of hurt.
I never knew he could act so well.
“Really?Do you expect me to believe that you are the good one here. I am 17 uncle and I have seen you twice in these years, this visit makes it third. And every visit you argued with my mother and even punched my father once!” I could feel poison dripping from my voice.
He nodded, appreciatively and said, ‘You have changed Kiara, you have changed for good!”
“Why are you here now?” I asked , partially curious and partially annoyed.
“I am here to help you two. I know I have been no role model , but I am the only one you have got, trust me.”
I laughed without humor. Trust him, it almost meant jump from a 50 floors building. And who in their right minds would do that?
“Uncle you trust me, when I say that me and my sister don’t need anyone. And if anyone, anyone came to hurt us or mess with us, well, like you said I have changed for good. And that person will not like to see the changed side of me. Stay away from us and her parents’ things!” I almost barked out the last part.
He genuinely seemed surprised and shocked. His mouth twitched slightly in smile and he turned to go.
But then he turned and said, “Kiara, protect your sister!”
And then he left. Me and Lila heaved a sigh of relief. All this while we were standing, tensed and nervous. I can’t bring myself to utter, sit down or have a seat to David.
I had grown stronger and rougher in 3 months. Lose and pain can bring out worst in you, but your previous self is still inside somewhere and that self, hugged Greta as David left. I might have bottled it within but I am sure that Lila had seen it, I feared for her, feared what bad news David might be. But as he was gone saying some meaningless words I just couldn’t help being happy!
---------
I lay on my bed, and like every other night I was staring at the ceiling. Lila said I was growing dark circles under my eyes. I guess lack of sleep or usually no sleep can cause that.
Kiara, protect your sister…. His words rang in my mind. For some absurd reason what Uncle David said bothered me. I knew nothing about the man, except that my parents hated him. I didn’t even knew the reason. My mother always cried when he called, making him hate me even more.
I sat up and moved out of bed. It was tiring to lay there and stare at nothing. My eyes and back start paining in this process. I sat on the plush maroon carpet and pulled out the family album from the drawer. And like a shock from bolt, my parents smiling picture greeted me. Only if that picture could move or say something…I have seen that album million times.
I loved where I held golden haired little Lila. My mother was golden blonde to and my father had dark brown hair. Sometimes people wondered where I got my jet black hair from. My father loved my hair, he said my grandmother had black hair and he was proud that I was the one to have them too. I closed the album and closed my eyes, tears trickled down slowly. I was delicate and shy type once, but I never cried. Not even in movies, when my friends were shedding numerous tears.
With closed eyes I tried to remember my parents, their smile. I wish we were poor. Their wealth got them killed and made me a social outcast. It didn’t even allow their own daughter to view their dead body or attend the funeral. And I couldn’t bring myself to ask Lila about it, obviously. The newspaper said that someone slit their throat. I couldn’t believe it was true, I just couldn’t. I mean who would want their parents to see with a slit throat!
And by some miracle of the Lord, imagining and thinking with closed eyes I somehow drifted to sleep.
Somewhere in distant land, I heard a scream and I jerked up from sleep. I rubbed my eyes, it was dark, which was weird since I slept with lights on! Maybe Lila or Greta came to check on me. The scream from my nightmare still rang in my ears and I knew it was impossible for me to sleep again. So I decided to have a look at me sister.
I walked stealthily to her room for some reason . After my parents’ death, mansion seemed like a strange place to me. Her room’s lights were off, so I guess she was asleep. Good for her! I peeped through the door that was slightly open. I dared not open the lights for two reason, firstly, I was afraid she might wake up and secondly the immense pink in her room disturbed me. I kind of despised all colours, except white and black. The two true colours of the world!
There was no movement in room, not even my sister breathing peaceful. I felt weird and flinched when I stepped on something liquid. My heart was hammering hard now, as I turned on the lights.
And the distant scream from my nightmare came true as I screamed like hell , in shock and pain . Lila lay dead, blood oozing from the cut on her throat!

Comments

Popular Posts